Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Martin Luther King Day!


"I just want to do God's will. And he's allowed me to go to the mountain. And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land! I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am beyond excited!!! One more day!!! And how very appropriate that the inauguration of Barack Obama is the day after Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday! Our country has a long way to go but I believe this is a huge step towards Dr King's Dream!

Back to school tomorrow. If you know me, you know I love quotes, and I'm going to use them in my lesson tomorrow. What a very teachable moment!

I am going to put two quotes on the board. One from Dr. King and the other from Obama. Here they are:

We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

We welcomed immigrants to our shores, we opened railroads to the west, we landed a man on the moon, and we heard King's call to let justice roll down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream."
-President-Elect Barack Obama

My students need to realize the incredible importance of tomorrow. Through these two quotes they will write down their thoughts and feelings, and tell me how one quote builds on another.

God Bless America!

No comments: