Thursday, January 22, 2009

Baby, it's cold down here!


Okay, everyone in the northern climes can have a good laugh at our expense, but let me tell you the blood thins out when most days are 90 degrees and the same humidity!

The temperature in South Florida dipped into the 30's last night (an extreme rarity) and it was in the low 40's when it was time for school this morning. (the schools issued a severe weather report and "robo called" all the homes of each child to tell them how to dress)

Parnham family attire:

Jia: 2 shirts,1 jacket hood up of course, sweatpants, socks and sneakers
Katie: one long sleeve shirt, one short sleeve shirt, a sweater and a jacket
Anna: three shirts and one sweat jacket, and 2 pair of socks
Lesa: one shirt, one sweatshirt, leggings, jeans big jacket 2 pair of socks
Drew: (who believe it or not minds the cold more than any of us) shirt, sweatshirt, jacket and his quote "my hands were froze"

An interesting aside, people in South Florida look like vagrants or victims of some unfortunate clothing accident when it is cold, none of us have much winter clothing, and what we do have we bought 10 years ago and have worn on the 1-2 cold days ever since...the only person I saw looking good today was my friend Diane and she is from Alaska!

I only have one picture today. Jia's new school had a teddy bear sleepover tonight. Each child had to bring their favorite bear to school this morning accompanied with bear pj's a blanket, a suitcase, toothpaste and toothbrush (thank goodness for build-a-bear). They put the bears to sleep when they leave, tomorrow morning they will find their bears all over the room and a big bear mess! (God bless those Kindergarten teachers) Jia was thrilled and she is so happy at school, it is too soon to say, but I think her move was a good one. Teddy Bear sleep overs were a little more what I think Kindergarten should be about!

Before I close I would just like to say that I am filled with humility and gratefulness for all of you that follow our blog. I started this as a way to keep in touch with far-flung relatives, I never imagined I would get so many readers from so many places. I have heard from places as far away as the Australian Outback to people that I don't personally know right here in Pembroke Pines. Thanks for the kind words about our life and our children and please keep reading! I appreciate all of my new friends in the blogger world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your site linked from The Story of You and found your post so funny while you were talking about the weather. When you mentioned "South Florida", I immediately thought of my friends who HATE cold weather. Then I REALLY laughed when you said, "Pembroke Pines." That's where they live too!! Small world!

We live in Missouri, where it's currently 28 and a storm warning is in effect (ice). However, on Friday we'll be in sunny Florida - and I can't wait!

Your girls are beautiful! We would love to adopt a little girl someday. :)