Saturday, March 21, 2009

Josephine Updegrove Knowles


My Grandfather was from a fairly large family. He had 1 brother and 3 sisters. All of the sisters were very beautiful and they married well. My Great-Aunt Jo (Josephine) was very eccentric, she owned a hat shop, lived in a huge house on a hill and married --twice. Aunt Jo never had any children and my father was one of her favorite nephews. My Dad died in 1985, but I sent my Aunt Jo Christmas cards every year and she would answer back with tales of birds and her beautiful flower garden. About 5 years ago my Christmas card was returned. I sadly surmised that my Aunt Jo had passed away.

Lately things have been hard for me. I have been ill and hospitalized and have had to take a leave until the end of the school year. We have been extremely worried about finances as summers are rough anyway.

What do these two things have to do with each other?

Thursday, in the mail I received a letter from a law firm in Pennsylvania--the last will and testament of Josephine Updegrove Knowles, who died in January 2009. I was mentioned in her will-and this is such a bittersweet thing, she left me the exact amount of money we will need to make it through the summer the way we always do.

Such mixed emotions, a long lost Aunt who always intrigued me and whom I loved and lost. Guilt for not knowing she was still alive, more guilt for being relieved about the money. A tie to a family gone all too soon...and absolute proof that God is watching and taking care...

LOOK AT THE BIRDS. THEY DON'T PLANT OR HARVEST OR STORE FOOD IN BARNS, FOR YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER FEEDS THEM. AND AREN'T YOU FAR MORE VALUABLE TO HIM THAN THEY ARE? CAN ALL YOUR WORRIES ADD A SINGLE MOMENT TO YOUR LIFE? -MATTHEW 6:26-27

No comments: