Friday, January 7, 2011

Don't Ask/Don't Tell

With the exception of very few friends and of course my immediate family people have been probably asking, "What's up with Lesa?" I have been diagnosed with congenital mental illness. On my mother's side of the family, my grandmother was an agoraphobic. My mom had such serious illnesses that she ended up committing suicide in a year that was already professionally difficult for me. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, and agoraphobia. There are times when I cannot leave the house for days or even weeks. I am taking medicine that has made me gain 30 pounds and either makes me extremely tired or keeps me awake. Because of my illness, I cannot make plans and know that I can keep them. I cannot let anyone in my house, although I'm not a hoarder lol, and I cannot talk on the telephone.
My brother Craig has been diagnosed with very similar symptoms. I see a psychologist once a week and a psychiatrist once a month. I am now receiving Social Security Disability Benefits and I am not working. A very good friend of mine tells me that if you look at this blog you would think we were the most normal family in the world. We try to make our family normal for our children, they do understand that their Mom has some issues but they do not define her. My children are not only o.k, but they excel at everything they do. We have a loving family and we have tons of good times together so there is no reason to worry about them, the preceding pictures of the girls are real. Drew goes out of his way to make up for things I am not capable of doing. Whenever there is a function our girls have both parents there, whether it is hard for me or not. This blog will continue to show the episodes of my family and the fun that we have and the love that we enjoy. It's just that I feel that it's also important that since it's my blog I should explain some of the other things that are going on.

Next up, Jia's field trip. Don't miss it!

1 comment:

Donna said...

I am in awe of the fabulous way you are raising your girls. I'm sure it would be easy to curl up and think only of yourself and your problems. Wish I could make things better for you; however, I can only pray for you. We are all in the Creator's hands.