Tuesday, November 4, 2008

BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD...ghandi

Election Day. It's my blog I can say whatever I want to right?

I feel like I do on my insomnia-ridden Christmas Eve; I've been to church, wrapped the presents, kissed my girls and put out Santa's midnight snack. In other words, I have done all that I can do and now I must sit back and wait (I don't do this easily).

We have campaigned, made a small contribution, hung up signs, and voted. (The girls voted at Florida's Kids Vote site).

DID YOU VOTE?
If you didn't we can't be friends anymore....j/k. But if you are one of my many, many Republican friends (some very conservative), I hope you voted too, and I respect your beliefs even if we differ--wouldn't things be boring if we all believed the same things?

WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT TO ME?
All the usual reasons--the war (i want it to end, right now), the economy (drew and I work hard for our money and will never be wealthy), opportunity (the girls deserve a college education), love (i think all kinds of love are positive and that the more people you have that love you, the more blessed you are).....and no matter his color, I firmly believe that Obama is the candidate that will protect my beliefs and work hard for people like me.

MY CHILDREN AND A HISTORY LESSON...
For those that don't know our family, our twin daughters are biracial-just like Obama. Me, I am a middle aged white woman who grew up in segregated South Florida. I was truly blessed to be taught the truth by my parents-that NO ONE should be judged by the color of their skin. Obvious now, but a radical idea from two people from small town Pennsylvania living in a state that was segregated well into the 1970's. I was desegregated in the 5th grade and bused to a school across town. Some kids were taken out and put in private school. My Mom cried for them- and I went to school, where I made many new friends, was in the school play and took guitar lessons...in seventh grade I had a slumber party and invited one of my best friends who happened to be African American, three other girls canceled, they weren't allowed to stay at my house, because she was there, this time I cried for them.

Now, this is not marching in the street, protesting, being discriminated against, but it affected me. I also try to see the world through my daughters eyes and I am hyper-vigilant that they are not discriminated against in anyway. I am aware and I care.

MODERN HISTORY
Four years ago I taught kids that were at a severe risk of dropping out of school at a middle school in one of the most disadvantaged areas of Broward County, predominately African-American. Drugs, arrests, violence, crime, missing parents and poverty were all an everyday part of these kids lives. While teaching there I got one of the highest, albeit, most round about compliments of my teaching career....A girl in my class said "Mrs. P. you are just a black woman trapped in a white woman's body" to me this meant--she gets it, she understand me...and with all my heart I try.

THANKS TO GOD
I get teary-eyed when I thank God that my sweet girls, growing up in the same place as I did are living in a very different world. A place where they attend school with many students of all races and backgrounds, where they feel no hatred or prejudice and in a world where a "person of color" like themselves can be PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

I have a dream that my children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
-DR.MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.

No comments: