Thursday, January 14, 2010

HAITI

As a teacher in South Florida I deal with many Haitian students every day. All handouts that schools give out here are printed in English, Spanish, and Haitian French Creole.

As a Geography teacher in South Florida I teach that Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere.

Most of the time when I make "political" entries to my blog it is to plea for orphans in China. I know that most of the people who read this blog is through the Chinese connection of my link with Tina at "The Story of You".

Today I am asking you to help the people of Haiti, the relatives of my students, people who have already been living in situations that we can barely fathom.

I know times are tough, but I have researched some ways that people can help without a lot of time or money:

~if you text HAITI90999 the American Red Cross will automatically add $10 to your phone bill, this money will go to Haitian Relief Organizations.
~If you go to Amazon.com you can donate through Mercy Corps.
~You can call your local schools and churches and ask if they have set up a donation site. (if you live in Broward County I know that both Plantation High School and Flanagan High School are taking donations and there are numerous Haitian churches that will also be collecting.
~If you are a Dr. or a Nurse, American Airlines will fly you to Haiti for free. Call them for more information.

If you believe in the power of prayer, please pray for the people of this island nation....

Love to All,
Lesa

No comments: